How Frost protection System on the DUX Electric boosted and gas boosted Sunpro Solar Hot Water system works.
These DUX hot water heaters can be among the most efficient of all solar hot water heaters. However, they are the most prone to freezing in the Canberra winter. This makes them most expensive hot water systems in Canberra to own and maintain.
The frost protection system of the DUX Sunpro solar hot water system works on the principle that moving water freezes at a lower temperature than stagnant water.
- The protected zones of the flat solar hot water panels. This is the area of the panels less likely to freeze on a DUX solar hot water system.
- The Hotlogic is the brains of the system. It causes water to circulate in a loop between the solar storage tank and the panels if water in panels drops to 3°C and lower.
- The anti frost valve. This valve
is the backup frost protection. It opens to release water when the water in the panels drops to 2°C and lower.
- Solar hot water storage tank
- Pressurised cold water entering the storage tank forces the hot water out when a hot tap is turned on or the anti frost valve opens. It also keeps the panels pressurised at all times.
- The unprotected zone. The panels usually freeze and crack in this zone of the DUX Sunpro solar hot water heater. This is because the water is stagnant.
- The mains pressure hot water outlet of the solar hot water storage tank.