8 Things you should know about increasing the efficiency of your solar hot water system
- Sometimes it necessary to reduce the amount of summer sun your solar hot water system gets.
- Restricting boosting times until the early evening in winter can dramatically reduce the amount of boosting required.
- Properly installed electric boosted solar hot water systems can be cheaper to run than gas boosted solar hot water systems and they can be better for the environment.
- Some solar hot water collectors can be installed so they face north even if you do not have a north facing roof.
- The pipe work between the collectors and the tank can seriously affect the efficiency of your solar hot water system.
- Most inefficiencies occur because the installers are either unaware of how to improve efficiency or they do not install the system properly.
- Installing a larger storage tank can increase solar hot water efficiency.
- Replacing the solar control station (brains and heart) of some hot water systems can increase efficiency.